Q. Can extraction of a wisdom tooth cause irritation in the nerve of the head?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2021

I have pain like irritation of the nerve on the left side of the head exactly on the left temple, in the left jaw, in front of the ear, back and around the ear, below the left jaw, which radiates to the left side of the neck. The pain is constant and irritating. Doing jaw movements helps a little in reducing the pain and relaxing the jaw muscle. But then after few seconds, there is a recurrence of pain and irritation. I had doubt that it could be a TMJ problem, but there is no sensation of cracking in the jaw, but a slight feeling is there when the jaw movement or jaw stretching is done. This pain does not limit the opening of the mouth. Opening the mouth is not a problem. More than the pain, the irritation of the nerve in the above areas is bad. My wisdom tooth was extracted five days back, as it was impacted. Could this be the reason? This problem did not subside even after removing the tooth. Please help.

#

• This pain is related to the nerve damage during the tooth removal. This will subside over the next 2 to 4 weeks.
  • I suggest you try taking tablet Pregabalin 75 mg, twice daily for relief. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I appreciate your reply. I would like to specify that, I have been facing this problem from past almost three months, which is way before the removal of the tooth.

#

• It is possible that the unerupted molar may have been causing nerve irritation, and now the inflammation due to tooth removal may be the cause.
  • Let the inflammation subside and then get back to me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|