Q. I am 5 months pregnant, and I am suffering from cholestasis. Please help.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am 5 months pregnant, and I am suffering from cholestasis. I have done LFT in which the enzymes are high in ratio then I consulted a doctor, and he had given me Udiliv 300 twice a day and Laveta for ten days. Then again, I have done LFT in which the numbers have not changed, and itching persists. Then also, my doctor prescribed me Rifagut for five days and Udiliv 300 for ten more days. But it is not helping. The itching still remains, and I cannot sleep at night for days.

Please suggest me something.

#

Liver enzyme variation are common in pregnancy. Let me start by reassuring you that it is not going to affect the baby. Enzymes are associated with such generalized pruritis or itching. Unfortunately, you have this a bit early on in pregnancy. Usually, it appears around the 9th month. But you being in the second half of pregnancy.

To prevent a sudden increase of these enzymes, you can have some lifestyle changes.

Reduce fat or oily food intake.

Have lots of proteins, vitamin, and carbohydrates. This way baby's growth is not compromised, and your digestion is also not affected. Giving more rest to the liver by reducing its enzyme output will marginally improve your symptoms.

To reduce the real problem of itching:

1. Use emollient like Calamine lotion or Candicalm every 2 to 3 hours, such that skin is never dry.

2. Use irritants locally to overcome the itching. Like balms or Vicks or onion paste locally over skin to irritate it and thereby suppressing local itching

3. Rule out any other reasons for itching like keep away from pets, especially from your room, like cats, dogs, birds, etc.

Clean bedroom doors and windows frequently. Wash curtains and sheets very frequently. I hope you are not using any new soaps or cosmetics or detergents, and I also hope there are no smoke or dust emitting shops or factories nearby, any road tarring, try to find any cause.

4. Use local steroid ointments like Candiderma or Betnovate ointments twice or thrice daily for few weeks. Only at places where there is itching

5. If still unbearable, have an antihistamine tablet for allergies like tablet Cetirizine 10 mg or Levocetirizine as and when required during itching.

I hope I have clarified your query.

All the best.

|