Q. My daughter has braces and does not follow instructions to keep good oral health. What to do?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

My daughter is 14 years old and has been on braces for the past year; her teeth are yellow. Though the dentist advice her to maintain her oral health, she does not follow. I am hesitant to keep bothering about this to my dentist. So, I wanted a few suggestions to improve her oral health without harming the braces.

#

Oral hygiene is essential for everyone, whether on braces or not. Everyone at home can follow the advice given, especially your daughter, and oral health should be fine. When on braces, the chances of food getting stuck between wires and braces increase more than an average individual without braces. So, extra care and efforts will be required from your daughter. I would suggest she rinse her mouth properly after every meal, ensuring no food particle is left behind. Avoid eating hard, sticky foods and switch to soft food intake to avoid bracing damage. Brush twice a day. Use mouthwash twice a day for complete cleanliness. Use warm saline rinse one to two times a day. Always carry a small brush around and use it to clean any food particles when eating something in school or elsewhere. Oral hygiene is important as failure to maintain it may lead to bad breath, bleeding gums, and even the formation of cavities. It is not that following these measures means these conditions woould not occur. Instead, the changes would reduce many folds.

So, always maintain oral hygiene.

|