Q. What are the tests I have to undergo after having unprotected oral sex?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Jun 24, 2019

I had an oral sex with a girl without protection, and I licked her vagina too, later I came to know she has PSV which she had undergone treatment and she was cured, I came to know risks of the STD's via oral sex and I was suggested to have test after four weeks, but they did not tell what test I have to go through in detail. My query is, what is the list of a test I have to go through? Please give me the names of the test in detail, so that I can approach a lab for testing.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

There are many tests, but the below mentioned are usually done to rule out the infection.

These are a screening test.

1. Test for HIV. Tridot test.

2.Test for gonorrhea (urine or oral swab) and chlamydia.

3. Test for Hepatitis B (HBsAg) and C virus.

4. Test for syphilis such as VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory test) and if required RPR (rapid plasma reagin) test.

5. Test for HPV (human papilloma virus).

Herpes virus test is usually not required if no symptoms are present or there is no outbreak of it. I hope this clarifies your concern. Ask again if anything unanswered,

| 

1. Test for HIV. Is tridot test is equivalent to an HIV antigen p24 test.

2. I usually think the HPV test is not performed on men. Please clarify as I am a male and the girl who had HPV had it completely cured, so do I need to take any precaution in screening or use any medicine as a precaution. And out of the five screening tests you have recommended how important are the other three tests, please advice, test for gonorrhea (urine or oral swab) and chlamydia. Test for hepatitis B (HBsAg) and C virus, test for syphilis such as VDRL and if required RPR test. How important are these test, is everything mandatory, and are all these tests taken in blood and urine samples only, please help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Tri-dot is not equivalent to antigen p24. It can pick up infection more early then Tri-dot. The second HPV is not much significant in men, so it is not required. I mentioned it because you wanted the name of all STI investigations. Other test hepatitis B and C and VDRL are necessary as they can significantly affect health. Gonorrhea is usually symptomatic in male, so if you have symptoms like burning or painful urination, pain in the scrotal area, then you need to go for this test.

While chlamydia is usually asymptomatic in male, so it may not have any symptoms in male but can spread the infection to others. Test for HIV, Hepatitis B, and C and VDRL are a blood test. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are usually urine sample and can also be done with a swab. These are important as you had an unprotected sexual encounter. And the girl has STD in past although treated (as you mentioned) but still there is a risk as she might have another STD, so it is better to be tested. I hope this clarifies all your concerns.

| 

I performed oral sex right after getting scaling done. What is my risk of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, A few weeks ago, I had oral sex with a female sex worker. I did oral sex initially after I came from scaling. I had bleeding from my gums. The bleeding was purely from the clean instruments used. I performed oral sex on her only around the clitoris region on the outside. She wiped hersel...  Read Full »

What are the other tests done to confirm HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, The doctor told me to test for a retrovirus. Unfortunately, it came positive. He said you might have HIV. Then I went to a government hospital where they took my blood sample, and they gave me the results within two hours. They told me I have HIV 1. Soon, after that, they started my tre...  Read Full »

I am HBV positive. What are the chances that I will completely get rid of it within six months?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 28 years old. I had my blood test done last month. HBV was negative. When tested again 53 days later, it came out to be positive. Do I have acute or chronic? Are all HBV acute for the first six months? What are the chances that I will completely get rid of it within six months?  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now