Q. What are the exercises and medicines that would help arthritis?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

We do not have any current x-rays, but the local doctor thinks it is related to arthritis. It is starting to impact her walking a bit. Are there any exercises and medicines she should take? Pain killers work, but we want to solve the problem with compression-like heat.

How about taking Lyrica? Will that help?

#

I have read your query and am sorry for such discomfort.

Kindly answer the questions to know more.

1. What is the actual history of presenting complaints?

2. Is it arthritis of the knee joint?

The query does not mention the symptom of the patient. Considering the age and difficulty in walking mentioned in the query, I guess it would be osteoarthritis of the joint, probably, the knee joint.

Please do mention the actual problem so that I can guide you in a better way. Lyrica contains Pregabalin which is indicated in neuropathic pain like nerve damage due to diabetes, etc. If arthritis you have mentioned is osteoarthritis of the knee joint, I would suggest the following:

1. Regular low aerobic exercise like cycling, walking, etc.

2. Consulting a physical therapist would be ideal for guiding various forms of exercise suitable according to the patient's condition.

3. Reduction of weight if there is overweight, as it will reduce strain on the joints and help alleviate symptoms.

4. Taking over-the-counter pain reliever medicine like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, etc. However, continued and regular use should be avoided.

5. Topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) cream application.

6. Heat and cold packs application.

Take care. Thanks.

Not much other history. But she is finding it harder to walk for over 15 minutes. It came only over past 4 weeks and doesn’t seem to improve. Blood work was normal. Xray showed maybe arthritis they ask for CT in two weeks.
# Thanks for the reply sir
Sudden history of knee pain could reflect some another anatomical structure problem like ligament problem
Any history of mild trauma like slip on the floor or while walking on the steps?
Is the pain originating from knee or hip joint?
Any swelling or abnormal joint mobility present?

Better do imaging modality like CT or MRI which would give finer details of the concerned anatomical joint and associated pathology

Meanwhile since walking is tough or difficult I would suggest rest and avoid weight bearing on the joint and take painkiller like diclofenac once or twice a day with local application of pain reliever ointment over the concerned joint. Take gas medication if there is problem of gas formation with above medicine.
Hope you find my reply helpful and guideful.
Please follow up if you have any related query about it.
Take care.
Thanks

|