Q. There is pain in both legs if AC is on. What could this condition be?

Dr. Lokesh

This is regarding my father who is 58 years old. For the past two months, he has had a pain in both legs - down from the knee to the foot whenever he sits in his office room that has an AC. He says that if he sets the temperature to over 26 C, the pain recedes in about half hour. What could this condition be? This did not happen before and started only two months ago.

#

Bilateral knee osteoarthritis can cause this pain which can be affected by temperature. Also, the calf muscles attach at the back of the knee joint and go right till the heel. So pain of the knee can cause this.

The other possibility is vitamin D deficiency along with vitamin B12 which causes sarcopenia and muscle weakness, also electrolyte imbalance can cause muscle pain.

He will require the following:

1. X-ray of both the knee joints in AP and lateral views.
  2. CBC (complete blood count).
  3. Serum vitamin D3.
  4. Vitamin B12.
  5. Serum electrolytes.

Follow up with reports.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thanks so much. I have attached the vitamin panel, CBC and the X-ray reports of both knees, AP and bilateral. The vitamin panel seems to show a deficiency of vitamin B12 and D. Our local physician started him on supplements (Lumia 60K, once per week for eight weeks and once a day for a month).

To add to the description of what he is experiencing:

1. He has a pain in his left knee. This pain appears only when sitting with legs folded (and not otherwise).
  2. He has pain in both legs from below the knees up to the foot. This pain usually happens at night (usually correlated with being in a room with air conditioning) and any time he is in a somewhat strong air-conditioned room (temperature < 25 C).

Could this be beginning of osteoarthritis? If yes, can we do something, in terms of treatment, to slow down the progression and prevent damage to the joints?

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This seems to be early osteoarthritis of the knee joint.

Also, Vitamin D and B12 are low. So, he will require supplementation for those.

I suggest:

1. Tablet Ibuprofen (400 mg) 1-0-1 X five days after food.
  2. Tablet Rabeprazole (20 mg) 1-0-0 X five days before food.
  3. Tablet Shelcal (Calcium) (500 mg) 1-0-0 X 30 days before food.
  4. Tablet Vitamin D (60 K) as given to you by your physician.
  5. Tablet Meganeuron (Methylcobalamin) 750 mcg 0-0-1 x 30 days after food.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. Take these only if you are not allergic to them. Do not take these if you are a known case of bronchial asthma. Follow up immediately in case of any untoward reactions.

Activities that cause pain should be avoided temporarily. If the knee is swollen or sore, the following positions and activities should be avoided until knee pain and swelling resolve:

1. Squatting.
  2. Kneeling.
  3. Twisting and pivoting.
  4. Jogging.
  5. Aerobics.
  6. Dancing.
  7. Playing sport.

You should wear a kneecap for support to the knee joint. Wear it all day and you can remove it at night.

Regular physiotherapy is required to slow down osteoarthritis, do knee strengthening exercises.

Follow up after one month. Regards.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|