Q. What can be done for unbearable knee pain in elderly woman?

Dr. Saseendar S

My mother started having knee pain and recently it is unbearable. We did an X-ray and the doctor gave her medicines but there was no relief for her. She is also taking medicine for hyperthyroidism. Please advise.

#

Hi

Your mother appears to have severe osteoarthritis which is wear and tear of the knee joint due to age.

I hope she does not get recurrent fever and is not suffering from any other joint conditions. Considering the severity of involvement, she may need total knee replacement after an initial assessment.

In the meanwhile, avoid squatting, climbing stairs or sitting on the floor. Using a walking stick also will improve her pain.

Hope that helps.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|