Q. Can pain and popping sound during jaw movements indicate osteoarthritis?

Dr. K Shanmuganandan
Published on Jun 20, 2019

I am 35 years old, 5 feet 11 inches tall and weight 79 kg. Vegetarian diet. Before two years, due to stomach disturbance and pain and some popup and cracker sound occurred in my knee joints. I visited the doctor and he suggested me for a laboratory test of liver function test and all reports were in normal range except sugar which was 138 at that time and gave me some medicines and referred to orthopedic for joint pain. I have visited an orthopedic specialist. He took an X-ray of both leg, knee, and told that it is an early stage of osteoarthritis of the knee and he suggested for MRI and I got my MRI done. In the MRI report, it is mentioned that left knee has been affected with osteoarthritis. After that, he gave some medicine for 10 days and referred to a physiotherapist for exercise and weight loss. I have visited as he told and now I have reduced my weight and now there is very little pain remaining in my left knee but now my other joints like the left hand thumb, finger, and both hand and knee have popup sound during movement. Kindly diagnose my problem and suggest the treatment for the same.

Dr. K Shanmuganandan

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through all the history details and reports. It shows mild osteoarthritis which is not reversible. But if you maintain your weight and exercise, it will halt. Please do quadriceps exercise for knees and for shoulder, bench press. Take a lot of fruits and vegetables. The cracking noise is normal and you need not worry. I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to ask me if there is any doubt in this regard.

I have an upper jaw pain and cannot close my mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my left front tooth, all the way to the back of my teeth on top hurt. I cannot close my mouth and it feels like the pain is going up into the bone under my nose. What could that possibly be?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it seems to me that you have an apical periodontitis. If you have any cavity related to this area, the tenderness is because of it. Or you must have malocclusion, meaning there is more pressure on these teeth. You need to visit a dentist who will...  Read Full

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role ...  Read Full

I am having jaw pain after root canal treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it inc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it can be due to muscle spasm but as it started after one week then it can also be due to infection in the root canal treated tooth. So, first of all, the exact cause needs to be ruled out. If Flexon MR (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Chlorzoxazone) and muscle exe...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now