My 53-year-old mother is suffering from severe arthritis. Some doctors suggested we replace her knee. Also, we are not getting positive comments from those who have undergone knee replacement surgery. We are unsure of how to treat this problem. Can you give me an opinion about my mother's recovery?
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I read your query and understand your concern.
Your mom is having pain, but you have not described the pain in detail, so I assume that this is due to osteoarthritis. The x-ray and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity) are not that bad. Please answer my few questions-
1. How bad is the pain in her knees?
2. How far can your mother walk?
3. Does her knee swell up?
4. Is there any locking or giving way?
5. Is pain the first thing in the morning she experiences, or is it after a period of rest?
6. Does her pain get worse on pressing it or after activity?
I suggest her the following medication for some relief-
1. Piroxicam 20 mg twice daily after meals for seven days (if she is not asthmatic or hypertensive).
2. I suggest her to have this along with an antacid like Pantoprazole 40 mg before meals twice daily.
If you see any improvement in the condition, I suggest you continue the same line of treatment for two more weeks.
I would also like to suggest that she start physiotherapy and that if she is overweight, she must lose five percent of her current body weight.
Let me know more about the questions I asked so that I can help further.
Thanks for the reply.
My mom is having severe pain only. She could not even walk 200 meters. If she wears a supportive belt on the knee, she can walk up to 200 meters. No swelling so far, no pain when she wakes up, but she starts getting the pain after doing some activity. She is already taking ayurvedic treatment and physiotherapy.
Welcome back to icliniq.com.
I understand your concern.
The symptoms appear to be that of osteoarthritis only, looks like she got benefits from the tablets, but there is also a role of physiotherapy.
What is her weight?
My suggestions for her-
1. She can start with anti-inflammatory tablets along with tablet Ultracet (Paracetamol or Acetaminophen 325 mg with Tramadol 37.5 mg), which is a strong pain killer. This tablet she can take on an empty stomach also.
2. She can apply gels like Dynapar Qps spray (Diclofenac and alcohol) or ice.
3. She must try to avoid using the knee cap.
Let us catch up after two to three weeks. I also suggest she take vitamin D tablets with calcium daily.
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. with information regarding the wear and tear in the knee joint, its causes, prevention, and methods of treatment available .. ... Read fullMy joint pain is affecting my academics. Please suggest a permanent cure.
.. through your query. Your predominant complaint is pain along the axial skeleton. If it is associated with early morning stiffness of the back and if the pain increases with rest, then ankylosing spondylitis needs to be ruled out. If the above feat... Read fullMy joint pain is excruciating during the night, and I get very little sleep. Please help.
The first one is osteoarthritis and the other one is rheumatoid arthritis ... Rheumatoid affects small joints like hands, ankles, and fingers ... Is this possibly arthritis ... There are two types of arthritis ...... Read full
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now