Q. What are the treatment options available for overbite?

Answered by
Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have currently researched the issue and symptoms of overbites in humans. I do think I fit in that category and was wondering if to correct this problem I would need jaw surgery. I have had braces for 3 years and have seen results but not to my preference. That treatment is over and I am now 19. Please advise.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your query. As a specialist I would like to help you. Overbite is also known as deep bite. Upper jaw covers the lower jaw. Mostly due to proclined upper jaw. Normal orthodontic treatment solves the problem.

But if the lower jaw is shorter (identified upon seeing the side profile of face), we advice bite plates for 4-6 months depending upon the progess, as the upper jaw stops locking the lower jaw, the lower jaw starts growing till the age of 20 years and correct itself. Looking natural. Orthognathic surgery is done in Type 3 molar occlusion (not for over bite), for cases where the lower jaw is longer in comparison to upper jaw to reduce the length of lower jaw and match is with upper jaw. Followed by braces if needed.

So in your case, you do not need any surgery as it is done only to recuce the size of lower jaw and upper arch is not involved in the surgery to avoid complication. If you are not satisfied with your treatmemt done, get another orthodontist and wear the bite plate atleast till you are 20 that would provide enough room for the lower jaw to grow and match your expectation. You can also upload me an image of your facial side profile and I would let you know whats the situation and whats more needed to be done.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »

Can Invisalign treat gaps in the bottom row of teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old and very self-conscious about my teeth. I understand that I have an overbite, which cannot be corrected unless I have jaw surgery. I had braces as a teenager, but they were taken off early, and now my teeth are shifting. I have a gap on the bottom row of teeth and some c...  Read Full »

I was suggested to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment. Is this the only way?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday I consulted an orthodontist, and I was told, that to keep the changes that braces will acquire, they will have to pull out four of my healthy teeth, without including the wisdom teeth. Those are going to be four premorals, two on the upper jaw, and two on the bottom jaw. I hea...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.