Q. Could weight be a contributing factor for ankle and knee pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I am a 25 year old female. My weight is 18 stone and height is 5'11". My knees crunch when I walk and often give way. My ankles are feeble, and my feet feel sore. I know that I am overweight and currently in the process of losing weight. But, due to the pain, it is getting in the way of my gym sessions. I am worried there could be something underlying due to hurting both my ankles and left knee over the years (really bad sprains). Could this be connected to my weight as a contributing factor? Please help. My pain is getting worse. I feel embarrassed going to the doctors due to my weight.

#

• It is obvious that you are in trouble, but at the same time, you are feeling slightly helpless also.
  • Nobody is going to judge you based on your weight. You should see a doctor and have your knee examined.
  • If your knees and ankles are fine, then a fairly strenuous program of weight loss can be instituted without further harm to your knees. It will be disastrous to damage your knees further. We do check them out before doing exercise.
  • As the knees and ankles are stopping you from losing weight, but your knees and ankle will continue to be painful if you are going to stay at this weight.
  • Seek help, let us do this the correct way and sort this problem forever.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|