Q. I have sharp pain below the breast and near the rib cage. What could it be?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 20, 2019

I am a 27-year-old female. I am experiencing sharp pain in the area below my left breast and near the rib cage. Could it be something serious?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

I have read your query carefully, before any prescription I want to know few things,

1. The exact location of pain?

2. Type of pain like sharp, cutting, and duration of pain?

3. Any previous history of any disease?

4. Hypertension and diabetes?

5. Current medication?

The exact location of the pain would be right below my left breast. It is a sharp pain and occurs when I move suddenly. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, and it is under control now. And my BP ranges from low to normal. No other history than this. I take Myoberb as suggested by my gynecologist for PCOS. No other medication. I workout in the gym every day.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

Thanks for the response, as per your answers it may be an epigastric pain or splenic pain. I am prescribing you some medicines. Two more things I want to know from your side.

1. Any gastric problems, you have like indigestion, acidity, gas, constipation?

2. Are you married, pregnant?

Please reply, then I will prescribe you medicines.

I have acidity like symptoms since last week after I started drinking green tea and black coffee. I am married.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

1. Capsule Pantocid D (Domperidone, Pantoprazole) once daily in the morning before breakfast.

2. Tablet Cyclopam (Dicyclomine, Mefenamic acid) when mild to moderate pain.

3. Tablet Tramadol 50 mg only use when sharp or severe pain occurs.

4. Tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for five days.

If any of the above medicine not available on medicine store then message me, I will replace or substitute that.

Can breast pain and cramps after sexual contact mean pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PCOS. I had my period a month back. My periods are mostly irregular and I usually have cramps in stomach and my breasts hurt before periods not every time though. I had oral sex with my fiance yesterday, he was wearing a condom throughout but he rubbed his genitals on my vagina...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Since you have taken the emergency pill within 72 hours of intercourse, there is no chance of pregnancy. These symptoms could be because of hormonal changes due to the pill you have taken. So relax and do not worry. However, if you have a doubt then get back to me.For more ...  Read Full

Are pain under breast and armpit after delivery dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, Just had a baby three weeks ago. Three days ago it started to pain under left breast then under left armpit. The pain continued in a part of my arm, then a spot on my neck and then a spot on my shoulder. And I read about heart attack. And I have been under a lot of stress recently. Ki...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unlikely to be a heart attack. This is atypical chest pain. I guess you do not have any shortness of breath. Considering your age group the possibility of heart attack is extremely low. Next, the pattern of pain is not consistent with the heart attack. Heart attack p...  Read Full

I have stomach pain and low appetite with frequent burping. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach pain recently, low appetite, and sometimes it hurts when I eat meals. Now I am feeling slightly better. I am sticking to liquid meals like soup and I am trying to stay away from lots of dairies for a while. Now I am burping almost every minute, and I have ju...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. By your history and description, the possibility of GERD is more likely. It is due to laxity of gastroesophageal sphincter. Because of this, the acid of the stomach tends to come up in the esophagus and cause chest pain, indigestion, burn...  Read Full