Q. Can prolonged inactivity and sudden intense exercise be the cause for palpitations?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

I am a 19-year-old male. And I am out of shape. I am a little overweight, and I have been physically active for the last month. I lost 6 kg of weight with regular exercise. I used to run, jog, and play football or soccer. A few days ago, when I was playing, I experienced palpitation for a second as if my heart skipped a beat. It happened twice in the past few days. I read about cardiomyopathy, and it is scaring me a lot. I do not have a family history of cardiac disease. I was diagnosed with PVC, but my doctor said that it was under control. Can my prolonged inactivity and sudden intense exercise be the cause for my palpitations?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the query. Your heart rate and blood pressure are perfectly normal, and getting PVC (premature ventricular contractions) twice per day is completely normal. In the long run, inactivity is harmful, so I advise you to continue jogging, running, and being involved in sports. To rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, you need to get an echocardiogram done.

|