Q. I have PCOS and getting period only if I take OCP. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

I have been diagnosed with PCOS last November. My doctor recommended that I take a pill named Cybelle (Cyproterone Acetate + Ethinylestradiol) for six months. She told me to stop after six months and advised me to observe if I get to menstruate the following month. I did, and I was so happy that was my last period for this year. I have not had my period, until now. My last period was on May 30. I also started my intermittent fasting on June 22, but I am not losing any weight. I am also experiencing an acne breakout right now and I feel hopeless as ever. Please help. What should I do?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern and would help you for sure. Please do not be stressed out, as this is a pretty common lifestyle disorder these days. And it is a lifelong condition and there is no cure to get rid of this condition. But, yes, this problem could be very well balanced if the lifestyle is regulated properly with proper diet, exercises and weight management.

So as I said, it is a lifestyle-related problem, the problems crop up when a lady puts on weight, has a sedentary lifestyle or does not have a proper diet. Weight gain does not happen per se because of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), but happens because of the lifestyle changes. So diet regulation and exercises form an important part of the management of weight and thus in turn the balance of PCOS related hormonal disturbances.

As you mentioned, your weight is 60 kg, your BMI (body mass index) comes out to be 22, which is in the normal range. A normal BMI is considered to be between (19-25). If there has been a recent weight gain, a weight reduction of couple of kilograms would definitely help you to get rid of her symptoms including your acne, which is caused due to elevated testosterone levels in PCOS. Further, it is said that the insulin resistance development in the body due to inactivity and weight gain leads to all the hormonal changes which disturb the ovulatory function of woman and lead to disturbed menstrual cycles and patterns of bleeding.

The hormonal treatment given in PCOS is mostly directed towards the symptoms management, and does not address the core problem, for which one has to modify their lifestyle. So until the time you are on hormonal pills, you will definitely get periods on time as it is regulated by those pills, but once stopped, if the lifestyle is not corrected, the symptoms are likely to occur again.

I have seen the reports attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but it is advisable to check certain hormonal levels as your periods have still not regularized. So it is important to determine the hormonal analysis so as to correct them if required. So please get the tests whenever possible and get back to me with the reports. If you have any signs or evidence of insulin resistance, you can be started on medications for the same.

Meanwhile, you can focus on your weight reduction, lifestyle, and diet modifications. Also, you should understand the future implications of this condition, which is important. A person with PCOS is at risk of developing diabetes, cholesterol problems, hypertension and heart problems, and they can appear little early in life if the lifestyle is not regulated.

PCOS.

Hemogram. Lipid profile. LFT. RFT. Serum electrolytes. 75 g glucose tolerance test. HbA1c levels (glycated hemoglobin). Serum calcium, Vitamin D and B12 levels. Serum fasting and post prandial insulin levels. Serum FSH, LH, Free testosterone, Estradiol, Prolactin levels. Thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH, Anti TPO) on second/thirdrd day of the next menstrual period.

Can continue oral contraceptive for three more cycles. Can consider a consultation with a dermatologist for acne problem for cosmetic purposes.

Reduce weight and avoid weight gain in the future. Do regular exercises at least 1 hour daily.
Avoid eating junk, oily foods, high carbs or high sugary foods (You can consult a dietician for diet plans). Avoid a sedentary lifestyle. Keep a track of the menstrual cycles by maintaining a diary.

|