Q. I have cloudy white discharge with pain during urination and erection. Please help.

Dr. Ankush Jairath

I am a 21-year-old male and not sexually active for three months. I am experiencing cloudy white discharge from the penis. The other symptoms are pain during urination and slight pain with erection. I have these symptoms two weeks ago after masturbation. I used an AZO test to find an STD or UTI and shown negative on two attempts (tests taken 24 hours apart). Please help.

#

This can be prostatitis, which is quite common in the younger age group.

You need to get:

1. Ultrasound abdomen with PVRU (post-void residual urine).

2. Semen culture.

3. Urine culture.

Meanwhile start

1. Tablet Levoflox (levofloxacin) 500 mg HS for five days.

2. Syrup Citra Alka 10 ml TDS for two weeks.

3. Tablet Chymoral forte 1-0-1 for five days.

I do not have any symptoms of prostatitis (other than discomfort urinating) such as pelvic or back pain, need to urinate, fever, cold, or any blood in the urine.

#

White color discharge (which is rarely normal) needs to be investigated. Symptoms like burning micturation plus white discharge mean some infection. If you had not mentioned that you are not sexually active, I would have kept urethritis or STD as my most probable diagnosis. But as STD screening plus not sexually active rules out the same. So by that, I go with prostatitis as my most probable diagnosis. Moreover, we need to investigate baseline investigations to streamline treatment further.

The treatment I told you is an empirical one for these kinds of complaints. I am still to make a final diagnosis based on the tests I had advised you. Prostatitis has a wide range of symptoms; you need not have all.

|