Q. What could be the best treatment for vertigo canalolithiasis?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Three months ago, after self-curing a retriggering of an actual vertigo canalolithiasis (BPPV), I had an underlying and often debilitating wooziness and light-headedness with light nystagmus in the left eye with an upward rotation towards the right ear. It happened the third time that year.

Other than ten days off around new year, I have been doing the Epley and other positioning maneuvers several times a day for the past three months, including two months with vibration. I am still experiencing light-headedness and cupulolithiasis. Often it is debilitating, and if I drink too much coffee, or if I am in the sauna too long or lift too heavy of weights, it can trigger light-headedness.

I have had up and down symptoms for years of dizziness, but it went untreated until last year. I do not actively have actual vertigo; it is more like pre or post vertigo with brain fog wooziness. I continue doing maneuvers with vibration. I recently went to an ENT doctor and had some ear fungus removed in both ears, but things have not improved.

Is this permanent or incurable?

Are there any other treatments or possible diagnoses?

#

I understand your concern and will help you out.

You need to know that positional vertigo is always triggered by placing the head in the critical offending positions or performing the offending movements. The vertigo is usually of a shorter duration and is often accompanied by vegetative symptoms like nausea and vomiting. A vertiginous sensation of unsteadiness lasting longer needs to rule out other conditions. We need to check if you are experiencing any symptoms of Meniere's disease.

Additionally, I would like to know whether you have a hearing impairment or tinnitus? Have you had an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done before?

I have checked myself for symptoms of Meniere's disease, but I do not think that I had any of those symptoms. However, my ears ring slightly, so there might be some tinnitus. I think this happened after that fungal cleaning. Also, I had not undergone an MRI yet.

Do I need to get an MRI done? Kindly suggest.

#

BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is probably the most common cause of peripheral vertigo. The repositioning maneuvers like vestibular rehabilitation exercises, including the Brandt-Daroff exercise, often suffice over time. However, if there is no progress, other causes need to be ruled out.

MRI can help in checking for any brainstem lesions. It constitutes a small but relatively essential cause for vertigo.

|