Q. Can anal sex lead to peritonitis in homosexuals?

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia
Published on Nov 01, 2019

I am a homosexual and this is my second time of having anal sex. It has been three weeks my partner had ejaculated inside of me, and then only I heard about peritonitis. I was wondering whether I was exposed to it or will it harm me? I heard that it may lead to death and if so, how long do I live? Additional information will greatly be appreciated.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

Well, precautions first - While there is absolutely nothing wrong medically in your sexual orientation, irrespective of the legal status in your state, it is definitely not advisable to have unprotected intercourse with anyone. Even the use of condoms only ensures 95% protection. So in the future, always use a barrier like a condom before intercourse to ensure your own safety and your partner's safety. Not only you could get infected with a venereal disease like syphilis, genital warts, etc., you may get infected with the deadly disease called AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). Though there are effective treatments for most of the STDs (sexually transmitted disease), why risk it in the first place.

Now coming to your question. Peritonitis is the inflammation of the membranous lining which covers our abdomen and the pelvic area called peritoneum. It gets infected only if there is direct contact of some infected fluid with it and for that, it should have been perforated i.e. ruptured. It often happens when the intestines get ruptured due to typhoid fever, or due to a ruptured peptic ulcer of the stomach or intestine or as a result of trauma.

In men, there has never been a case (to the best of my knowledge), where a sexual act has resulted in peritonitis. It cannot happen unless the sexual force has been so vigorous that it resulted in the rupture of the rectal or anal mucosa. Even if it happens rarely because of this, peritonitis has very prominent symptoms like severe pain in the abdomen and you would have needed to be hospitalized. So do not worry. If you are fine and eating well with no pain in the abdomen, your previous coital acts have not given you peritonitis. And you may expect a normal life. Of course, you are risking your life by being at a risk of acquiring deadly STDs like HIV-AIDS, which are killers.

So do not worry about peritonitis, but worry about STDs and follow precautions.

Gallstones - All You Need to Know

Article Overview: Gallstones are formed in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile or due to stasis. Gallstones are generally composed of cholesterol, bile pigments, and mucin. Gallstones can be asymptomatic and incidentally detected on an ultrasound scan. They can cause pain (biliary colic), acute calculous cholecystitis, chronic cholecystitis, acute pancreatitis (a very serious condition), common bile duct obstruction, obstructive jaundice, and cholangitis (can be severe and cause multiple organ failures). Read Article

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

Introduction: Gallstones are a common condition. Gallstones form in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile. About 1500 ml of bile is secreted by the liver every day. Normally, bile is necessary for digestion of fat and absorption of fat soluble vitamins. It is also...  Read Article

I have subacute appendicitis. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the right lower abdomen for a week. Ultrasound suggests subacute appendicitis. CBC, LFT, and KFT are normal. I do not have a fever. What are the treatment options? Is surgery necessary? Can this be treated with medicine only? Currently taking Oflox 200 twice a day....  Read Full >>

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Subacute appendicitis is the inflammation of the appendix. The usual treatment is surgery after a course of antibiotics. The best judge of this is a surgeon who has examined you as clinical signs of local guarding and peritonitis are of utmost importance for the timin...  Read Full

Herpes - a Common STD

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the clinical presentation and treatment of herpes. Read Article

Herpes disease is caused by herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a double stranded DNA virus, infects humans alone and is almost ubiquitous. There are two closely related species of HSV, type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). They cause primary as well as recurrent mucocutaneous infec...  Read Article

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now