Q. I have hard bump in throat and my mouth looks white. What is it?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2018

I have a bump in the throat. It is hard and not painful, and my mouth looks white, I looked on the internet and scared of mouth cancer. Please Help. Other symptoms I had was pain in throat for couple days, but that gone away quickly with gargling. I also have reflux (I am going to the specialist in two weeks). My tonsils are operated and I do not have one. Currently, I am taking Omeprazole.

#

The posterior pharyngeal wall has some enlarged and congested nodules (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Could be due to chronic pharyngitis. Continue the reflux medicine and when any pain is there take decongestant and Claritin (Loratadine).

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

But you did not say anything about that bump in the left side of the soft palate. It is scaring me the most. I am adding another photo.

#

Unilateral lump is one of the presentations of cancer. But in you, I would suspect an infection more. This is because of the findings as well as the symptoms. A sore throat with redness and increased vascularity inside the throat are mostly due to infection. Infection can result in whitish secretions which coat the tongue and give the white appearance. The lump can also be due to infection.

I would suggest, if you were to come to me, to take Azithromycin tablet 250 mg one tablet twice daily in empty stomach, with tablet Claritin once daily taken in bedtime. If there is a lot of mucus you would need N-Acetylcysteine or Ambroxol hydrochloride. If any pain or fever there then you may take Paracetamol 650 mg SOS.

The lump is not worrisome. It appears due to infection. If it does not resolve with the medicines then we can take a small biopsy and send for histopathological examination. The biopsy will be done in the office itself.

|