Q. I am not able to pull my foreskin back. Will it affect my sexual life?

Answered by
Dr. Bharat Udey
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am not able to pull my foreskin back which I believe might affect my sexual life. My age is 28 years. I was told by someone that circumcision is an option.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Difficulty to pull the foreskin back over glans (head of penis) is a problematic situation, it does hamper the sexual performance as well.

This condition is called phimosis.

It can be physiological, which is present since birth and resolves spontaneously by early adolescence.

It can also be pathological, resulting from scarring, balanitis, underlying medical risk factors.

Phimosis presents with the following features:

  1. Pain in penis while micturition (urination).
  2. Painful erection.
  3. Paraphimosis (the foreskin gets trapped behind the head of the penis, unable to return to its normal position).

Treatment involves:

  • Local application of steroid ointments - To be applied for 4-6 weeks locally over the foreskin, this helps in loosening the skin folds and hence helps in retraction of foreskin.
  • Surgical intervention - Circumcision is the surgical method where the foreskin is surgically excised and hence relieving the constrictions. Circumcision is usually performed by a surgeon, performed under local anaesthesia, thereby reducing the pain and improving the outcome.

If you want to go ahead with circumcision, I would recommend you to seek help from a local surgeon in your vicinity.

For further queries, consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can balanitis cause tearing of foreskin and pain while masturbation?

You must clean the prepuce area with water and apply Clotrimazole plus Fusidic acid cream local application twice daily and take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a week for four weeks after consulting your GP or nearby dermatol...   Read full

My foreskin is tight and not coming down. Please help.

.. foreskin does not retract fully, then it is difficult to perform the sexual activity because it can cause pain and can cause rupture of the frenulum. It all depends upon the severity of the condition. It is advisable that you meet a surgeon in per...   Read full

I have phimosis. Will sex be a problem for me?

Phimosis is a condition where the foreskin is tight around the glans penis or the soft tip of the  ... Your partner will have no problem, but you may not get all the pleasure, as the skin or foreski...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»
I am experiencing abdominal bloating and severe acidity. Are these side effects of antibiotics?
Hello doctor, I have been experiencing bloating and acidity during the menopause years. After experiencing a burning se...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.