Q. I am not able to pull my foreskin back. Will it affect my sexual life?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

I am not able to pull my foreskin back which I believe might affect my sexual life. My age is 28 years. I was told by someone that circumcision is an option.

#

Difficulty to pull the foreskin back over glans (head of penis) is a problematic situation, it does hamper the sexual performance as well.

This condition is called phimosis.

It can be physiological, which is present since birth and resolves spontaneously by early adolescence.

It can also be pathological, resulting from scarring, balanitis, underlying medical risk factors.

Phimosis presents with the following features:

1. Pain in penis while micturition (urination).
  2. Painful erection.
  3. Paraphimosis (the foreskin gets trapped behind the head of the penis, unable to return to its normal position).

Treatment involves:

• Local application of steroid ointments - To be applied for 4-6 weeks locally over the foreskin, this helps in loosening the skin folds and hence helps in retraction of foreskin.
  • Surgical intervention - Circumcision is the surgical method where the foreskin is surgically excised and hence relieving the constrictions. Circumcision is usually performed by a surgeon, performed under local anaesthesia, thereby reducing the pain and improving the outcome.

If you want to go ahead with circumcision, I would recommend you to seek help from a local surgeon in your vicinity.

For further queries, consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|