Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is it compulsory that the foreskin has to retract during sex?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I got married three months back. And since then, I am not able to have sex with my wife. I am not able to retract my foreskin when erect, and the head of the penis is not visible. I can only retract it less than 1 cm. The foreskin on the penis is very soft, and I cannot roll it back. When I try to penetrate, it pains and my erection is not very strong to penetrate. I tried taking tablets for improving my erection, but it has not helped. My erection is better now, but I am not able to penetrate. Please help me. Is it compulsory that the foreskin has to retract during sex? Please help me as soon as possible

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to

  • If you are not able to retract the foreskin over the tip of the penis, then most likely the skin is tight and it is due to phimosis. Though to make a diagnosis, evaluation is needed. This is a surgical condition, but it can be treated easily. Circumcision is the treatment of choice for phimosis and this is a minor surgery. You can talk to a surgeon for treatment.
  • Since you are getting good erections, but you are not able to penetrate because of pain and the skin gets folded there, it also points towards phimosis. The retraction of the foreskin is not compulsory for sexual intercourse or pleasure. But tight foreskin results in pain and sometimes this could lead to an emergency like situation paraphimosis. So, better get this corrected.


For more information consult a sexologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

Thanks for your advice. Can this be fixed with medicines or is surgery necessary? I do not want my parents to know.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome back to

  • A surgical evaluation is needed for making a diagnosis. Medicines do not play a role in this. You can try to manipulate this by yourself. Slowly try to retract the foreskin in erected penis daily for some days and this should help. But best is to discuss with a surgeon for help.


For further queries consult a sexologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I feel pain while trying to open my foreskin. Please help.
I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?
Foreskin is swollen like a balloon after frenuloplasty. Is this normal?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why does my foreskin not coming down completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I am a male. Though I have been having healthy masturbation since past 15 years or more, the head of my penis is visible only a little bit and the foreskin not fully comes down. Will that situation hamper my married life? Having sex with a condom is possible right? ...  Read Full »

Why is my foreskin so tight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 and MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children)
MIS-C is a potentially fatal condition that affects children infected with COVID-19. Please read the article to know its...  Read more»
I have fever, severe headache, and cough. Please help me.
I have fever since five days. My fever comes down when I take medicine but eventually comes back. I also have severe hea...  Read more»
Brucellosis - Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Brucellosis, a zoonosis, is caused by consuming unpasteurized milk or raw meat obtained from infected animals. For sympt...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.