Q. Is it compulsory that the foreskin has to retract during sex?

Published on Jan 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

I got married three months back. And since then, I am not able to have sex with my wife. I am not able to retract my foreskin when erect, and the head of the penis is not visible. I can only retract it less than 1 cm. The foreskin on the penis is very soft, and I cannot roll it back. When I try to penetrate, it pains and my erection is not very strong to penetrate. I tried taking tablets for improving my erection, but it has not helped. My erection is better now, but I am not able to penetrate. Please help me. Is it compulsory that the foreskin has to retract during sex? Please help me as soon as possible

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• If you are not able to retract the foreskin over the tip of the penis, then most likely the skin is tight and it is due to phimosis. Though to make a diagnosis, evaluation is needed. This is a surgical condition, but it can be treated easily. Circumcision is the treatment of choice for phimosis and this is a minor surgery. You can talk to a surgeon for treatment.
  • Since you are getting good erections, but you are not able to penetrate because of pain and the skin gets folded there, it also points towards phimosis. The retraction of the foreskin is not compulsory for sexual intercourse or pleasure. But tight foreskin results in pain and sometimes this could lead to an emergency like situation paraphimosis. So, better get this corrected.

Thanks.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thanks for your advice. Can this be fixed with medicines or is surgery necessary? I do not want my parents to know.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• A surgical evaluation is needed for making a diagnosis. Medicines do not play a role in this. You can try to manipulate this by yourself. Slowly try to retract the foreskin in erected penis daily for some days and this should help. But best is to discuss with a surgeon for help.

Thanks.

For further queries consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Why does my foreskin not coming down completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I am a male. Though I have been having healthy masturbation since past 15 years or more, the head of my penis is visible only a little bit and the foreskin not fully comes down. Will that situation hamper my married life? Having sex with a condom is possible right? ...  Read Full »

Why is my foreskin so tight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My foreskin is tight and it is difficult and hurts to pull back my skin off the head when erect but goes back with less effort when not erect. How can I loosen my foreskin at home?  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now