Q. My wife is having thick red rashes on her face for the past three months. Please suggest a solution. .

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2019

A 34-year-old female is having thick red rashes on the face. Please suggest.

#

The thick red rashes on the face can be because of many reasons like allergic contact dermatitis, papular urticaria, irritant contact dermatitis, and many more.

I need to know more details like for how long are they present? Are they itchy? Are they transient or persistent? Kindly answer my questions and if possible kindly attach a picture of the lesion so that I can see the lesions and help you to my best.

She is my wife. She faces it for three months. I consulted a doctor and he gave Eumosone-M cream, Oxidon plus capsule, and Dermadew soap. He diagnosed her with polymorphous light eruption.

The effect of the medicines are very little. I want some solution and also I have a one-year-old daughter and she breast feed her. I have attached my wife's photo and copy of the doctor's prescription.

#

I saw the attached pictures and prescriptions. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There are extensive redness on the forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin. Such kind of itchy red rash can be due to polymorphous light eruption also. But it is associated with irriattion on sun exposure usually and also involves other sun-exposed sites like forearms and V of the chest.

It is an easily treatable condition. But the use of sunscreen is mandatory. She can use any sunscreen with SPF (sun protecting factor) more than 30 to be applied at 9 am, 12 pm and 3 pm.

Along with this, she needs to apply Flutivate (Fluticasone) cream once daily over the lesions only, for a minimal amount for five days. For itching, she can take tablet LCZ (Levocetirizine) 5 mg at night time. But just to be sure can you please tell me does she feels uncomfortable on sun exposure? Are there dandruff in the scalp and red scaly rash is present on the sides of nose folds and back of ear folds also? Because if so, we call it seborrheic dermatitis and then additional medications are required.

|