Q. Please explain the long-term effects of poor posture.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

What are the long-term consequences of bad posture? Please explain.

#

Poor posture is likely to cause structural changes or fixed musculoligamentous issues.

The outcome and timing is dependent on the starting point. By this I mean, if this starts in early childhood, one will notice the changes by late adulthood.

The severity of symptoms and actual clinical effects do not follow a straight line path and many other factors, including genetic, environmental, etc., play important roles in expression of symptoms.

Further, the cause of poor posture such as muscle weakness, bony cause, trauma, neurological. etc., have their own natural history.

Poor posture is likely to cause backache, stiffness, increased likelihood of sustaining injuries to the hip, knee and shoulder, appearance anomalies, etc., and in extreme cases, breathing problems due to sustained pressure and lack of space for expansion of the lung.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

|