Q. Please explain the long-term effects of poor posture.

Dr. Atul Prakash

What are the long-term consequences of bad posture? Please explain.

#

Poor posture is likely to cause structural changes or fixed musculoligamentous issues.

The outcome and timing is dependent on the starting point. By this I mean, if this starts in early childhood, one will notice the changes by late adulthood.

The severity of symptoms and actual clinical effects do not follow a straight line path and many other factors, including genetic, environmental, etc., play important roles in expression of symptoms.

Further, the cause of poor posture such as muscle weakness, bony cause, trauma, neurological. etc., have their own natural history.

Poor posture is likely to cause backache, stiffness, increased likelihood of sustaining injuries to the hip, knee and shoulder, appearance anomalies, etc., and in extreme cases, breathing problems due to sustained pressure and lack of space for expansion of the lung.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

| 

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

I have pain in ribs and breathing problems. Is it a sign of lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For past four weeks, I have pain in my ribs. Also, I am experiencing breathing problems. It feels like something has stuck in the heart. For, a few days pain has been decreased. But breathing problem persists. I am also experiencing pain in my lower back. The pain is massive at night tim...  Read Full »

Why do I wake after sleeping with high heart rate and breathing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I nearly wake up every night two to three hours after I go to bed. Symptoms are high heart rate (150 to 170) and breathing problems. My heart has been diagnosed and today I got an X-ray of my lung. What I think is strange. I only wake up, when I lie on my right side. I never woke up w...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now