Q. What can be the reason for my frequent hunger and weight loss?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 08, 2019

I am 63 years old. My height is 6 feet, and I weigh 165 lbs. Overall I have maintained good health with stable CAD, chronic sinusitis and very fit. My recent stress echo shows excellent exercise tolerance and no blood flow blockage in coronary arteries. I have been taking these medications Crestor, Amlodipine, Benazepril, Bystolic, and Zetia for many years. I have symptoms such as frequent hunger, and still, there is weight loss. Perhaps have lost 2 kg over past 3 months. I have constant body aches, constant low-grade headache, overall fatigue, feeling some sensation in both groin and armpits. Bowels work fine. This has been going on for several weeks. Consulted my physician who said the lymph nodes that he could palpate were fine. Did ultrasound of neck and axilla and chest x-ray both were unremarkable. I fear that I may have liquid cancer. Can you look at these two laboratory results and tell me if these results could indicate the presence of lymphoma or leukemia. If it is not cardiac arrest, then I am sure it will be figured out in time. There is no history of CA in my family. Please help.

#

Based on your query and attached reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) my opinion is as follows:

Based on your reports, there is no abnormality. No signs of any lymphoma or leukemia. Weight loss of 2 kg over 3 months is normal. Dehydration can cause up to 1-2 kg weight loss within a week and 2 kg should not be worrisome.

Thyroid profile is good and there is no anemia. Regular moderate activity, protein-rich diet, good hydration (5-6 liters of water per day) should be helpful. Night sweats are usually a sign of cancer.

However, the weight loss will be in the range of more than 10% within 2-3 months and additionally, for lymphoma, multiple groups of lymph nodes would be enlarged or in case of leukemia WBC (white blood cell), the differential would show a high number of blasts or immature cells. None of which are found.

Additionally, there are no frequent new infections, indicating good bone marrow and immune function. There is no presence of any cancer of blood-forming cells.

1. Regular moderate activity.
2. Have good protein rich diet.
3. Keep yourself hydrated. Drink at least 5-6 liters of water per day.

I have sent the recent reports for your reference. Thank you.

#

I went through the recent reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

Based on clinical findings and symptoms there are no signs of any possible leukemia or lymphoma. Prediabetes signs are present and diabetes can contribute to weight loss and this can explain weight loss yet again.

Controlling diet with increased activity along with regular tests for diabetes mellitus is essential. There is nothing suggestive of cancer of blood or lymph nodes anywhere in laboratory reports.

|