Q. I had unprotected sex three days ago and got my periods today. Am I safe?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I had unprotected sex three days ago. My stomach was itching, and my vagina was bleeding. I was scared that I was pregnant, so I was about to take the emergency contraception pill. But yesterday I got my periods. Am I safe right now?

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

For getting pregnant, the sperms have to be ejaculated inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending upon the ovulation pattern of the female. The fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the uterus of the female. When all this happens successfully, then a female is said to have conceived.

In your case, if you had a period yesterday and that was due on the date, then you need not worry. Generally, the egg is not available three days before the period, and conditions inside the uterus are also not well for the fertilization of the egg. So do not worry but I feel that you should be safe.

Please share the details of your last menstrual period for a better assessment.

Do not worry; I am always there for you. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information

|