Q. Does Progyluton contain correct level of hormones to treat POF?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 19, 2020

I have POF with FSH 101. I am taking Progyluton from three months but I still feel hot flashes and breast pain after starting brown tablets and these become worse in pill-free days. Am I taking right dose of hormones?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you mentioned it is clear that you have premature ovarian failure and you have been prescribed the drug Progyluton as a hormone replacement therapy.

You have mentioned that you experience some symptoms such as hot flashes and breast pain in spite of taking hormone replacement therapy and they get worse during the pill-free period.

Well, the hot flashes are common in premature menopause as in your case and the breast pain occurs because of progesterone component in your Progyluton. It will decrease with time sometimes up to a year and a half.

Your dose is right. All I suggest is that you need to take these pills to prevent other problems from occurring such as decrease in bone density, cardiac problems, endometrial problems so on and so forth and also to prevent overt symptoms of menopause.

| 

Menopause

Article Overview: Menopause is not a disease or a condition, but a normal part of life when a woman ceases to menstruate and is no longer fertile. Menopausal symptoms occur a few months to years before and after the last period.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

All you need to know about Menopause Menopause is not a disease or a condition, but a normal part of life when a woman ceases to menstruate and is no longer fertile. Menopausal symptoms occur a few months to years before and after the last period. The average age of menopause is between 49 and 52 y...  Read Article

Menstrual Disorders in Adolescent Girls

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the most common menstrual problems faced by girls in their adolescence and the method of diagnosis of the same. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Menstrual problems are common during adolescence due to slow maturation of the system situated in the brain called hypothalamo-pituitary axis. The hypothalamo-pituitary axis is the mediator of the menstrual cycle. The failure of this system may lead to variations in the menstrual cycle. It can last ...  Read Article

I am a 17 year old girl. Using estrogen for about 10 months now. I have become more feminine and contented.

Query: Hello, I am a 17 year old girl. I am using estrogen for about 10 months now. I became more feminine and contented, it has changed my life, but when I stop using it, in time I become the same as I was before. So I would want to ask you if I could block my testosterone if  I am under 18? This would b...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now