Q. Being a lactating mother, how to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am 28 years old and had unprotected sex with my husband a few hours back. I am a lactating mother and I do not want to get pregnant under any circumstances. Kindly suggest a medicine which is most effective in this situation to avoid pregnancy without affecting breastfeeding and my five month old baby.

#

• The emergency contraceptive pill is not a good idea. You can use Copper-T, a spermicidal jelly.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will it be painful? By the time, I will be able to purchase the medicine and it will be 9 hours after intercourse. Will it be effective?

#

• Copper-T insertion is better option in your case. It will be a slight painful procedure, but you can have painkillers.
  • Yes, you can have after 9 hours. No problem.

| 

Will taking Sysron NCR prevent pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old. I am taking Sysron NCR 10 mg for heavy bleeding. I had unprotected sex on the 12th day of my periods. How to prevent my pregnancy?  Read Full »

Suggest an alternative birth control method to copper T.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is now 1 year old. I got copper T inserted after 3 months of my delivery. I still have prolonged and heavy periods followed by spotting lasting for up to 10-15 days. There is no other issue that I face. Is it because of copper T insertion or can there be some other reason too? W...  Read Full »

After taking ECP, I am bleeding. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my periods on the 15th of last month, and I had sex on 25th. I took emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»