Q. Being a lactating mother, how to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am 28 years old and had unprotected sex with my husband a few hours back. I am a lactating mother and I do not want to get pregnant under any circumstances. Kindly suggest a medicine which is most effective in this situation to avoid pregnancy without affecting breastfeeding and my five month old baby.

#

• The emergency contraceptive pill is not a good idea. You can use Copper-T, a spermicidal jelly.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will it be painful? By the time, I will be able to purchase the medicine and it will be 9 hours after intercourse. Will it be effective?

#

• Copper-T insertion is better option in your case. It will be a slight painful procedure, but you can have painkillers.
  • Yes, you can have after 9 hours. No problem.

|