Q. I hear my pulse after exercise and sex. Why?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

I am 38-year old, 85 kg, male. Had extensive heart check last year, which came clear. Doctor said I have mild valve insufficiency (doctor said it is normal) and blood pressure of 110/70. Lately, I hear my pulse more noticeably and feel it in various parts of my body (chest, neck, stomach, legs) beating harder (not faster) after exercise and sex (not at rest).

I have no other noticeable symptoms. Other than feeling more anxious lately, I was wondering what could be the reason could be for louder or harder pulse (my wife can hear my heartbeat during intercourse) but not faster. My resting heart rate is 60 BPM, and heart rate during exercise is around 140.

#

I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that your symptoms (palpitations and pulse feeling through the body) are not related to any specific heart disorder unless you have primary aortic valve insufficiency. When significant (moderate to severe) aortic insufficiency is present, the arterial pulse may be frequently pronounced and easily visible through the body parts. But this is not your case.

Your symptoms could be just physical deconditioning due to lack of physical training. Anyway, a more definite opinion could be given after a direct review of your echo report. I would also recommend performing thyroid hormones level. I hope you will find this answer helpful. In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

|