Q. My AST and ALT are high, but in screening, hepatitis B and C are negative. Kindly help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I am 49 years old with a weight of 97 kgs. I am feeling fatigued, weakness and uneasy, and sometimes, I feel shortness of breath, no pain anywhere. I have allergy issues with an IgE level higher around 900 or 1000. whenever I test, I found higher triglycerides.

Following are the recent result of the lipid profile test:

1) Cholesterol 176.

2) Triglycerides 467.

3) HDL 29.

4) LDL 93.

5) VLDL 93.

My ALT's remain in the normal range; however, when I tested today, the following were my results:

1) AST (SGOT) 56 (normal range 10-31).

2) ALT (SGPT) 82 (normal range < 41).

I found hepatitis B and C negative in screening. Above, blood pressure ranges from 130-140. Lower blood pressure ranges from 95-100. Please kindly give your opinion.

#

High triglycerides are a matter of concern. It is the kind of fat that accumulates in vessels and, therefore, risk of hypertension, diabetes, and other heart diseases as well. As we can see, your systolic blood pressure is on the borderline to hypertension, but diastolic indicates hypertension, so in such cases, hypertensive medicine is required and medicine for triglycerides as well. Along with medicine, a good diet is essential. So that I would suggest you avoid oily and junk foods. Daily exercises such as walking or running have to be followed. All these will help to bring your blood pressure low. You should reduce salt intake in your diet and reduce coffee as well. Niacin (Vitamin-B3 rich diet) such as chicken liver, tuna, salmon will help bring down your triglycerides. I suggest you take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once a day after meal and tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before meal. Avoid alcohol and smoking.

I suggest you do the following tests:

1) RBS (random blood sugar).

2) HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c).

Can you please tell me when do you have high blood pressure? Are you taking any medicine currently? Do you take alcohol?

I have high blood pressure for the last six to seven years. I tried to lower triglycerides with exercise, but no result. I think higher triglycerides are genetic. I usually repeat the lipid profile and IgE test and the same results, higher triglycerides, and higher IgE levels. But my present concern is higher liver enzymes AST (SGOT) 56 (normal range 10-31) and ALT (SGPT) 82 (normal range < 41). Which were normal in all my previous tests but now it is higher now. I found negative hepatitis B and C in screening. Please guide me.

#

Your liver enzymes are not high to cause any severe complications. These are just slightly elevated. It can be due to intake of alcohol or due to usage of some other medicines. So please do not worry. I would suggest you repeat your liver function test after one week, and hopefully, these values will be normal. Other tests are normal such as hepatitis, so please do not worry. If you take alcohol, then please cut it down, and your liver values will be normal.

To reduce ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase), I would suggest you take syrup Hepa Merz (L-Ornithine L-Aspartate) 5 ml once a day after meal for seven days. Repeat test after seven days. Are you taking medicine for blood pressure? Please get back if you have any doubt.

|