Q. Will foreign bodies cause redness in eyes?

Answered by
Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2020

Hello doctor,

My eye has become red and is watering, I think a foreign object has entered but I am not able to find it. What should I do? It happened yesterday and icing did not help. Currently, I am under medication for high blood pressure.



Welcome to

First this to rule out is a foreign body in the eye. For that ask someone to examine your eye with a torchlight and also check the upper lid by everting it because that is the common site for foreign body. Sometimes a very small foreign body cannot be seen with the naked eye and need an eye exam by a doctor. Wash your eye with clean water.

If there is no foreign body seen then it is most probably conjunctivitis (that presents with the same symptoms) usually viral conjunctivitis. It usually takes 7-10 days to complete recovery but during this period protect your other eye and other family members because it spreads from one person to another through contact.

For symptomatic relief, keep washing your eyes with cold water and do icepacks. That helps to relieve discomfort. Start antibiotic (Moxifloxacin 0.5%) eye drops four times a day to avoid secondary infection. If pain and discomfort are severe consult your nearby eye doctor for a complete eye exam.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
After conjunctivitis, my eyesight has become blurred. Why?

After some days, conjunctivitis attacked my right eye and spread into both the eyes ... But, after some days of conjunctivitis, my right eyesight started to become blurred ...   Read full

What could a clear bubble in the sclera of my eye be?

This can be caused by a mild foreign body sensation ... This is for resolution of the cyst I suggest you also start Carboxymethylcellulose plus Naphazoline eyedrop four times daily for dry eyes a...   Read full

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Hello doctor, Eighteen months ago, I had a reconstructive surgery on my penis to treat penile curvature. Two weeks post operation, hematoma exploded so I got wound breakdown. Skin necrosis ensued and I lost a small part of my penile skin. No graft or...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.