Q. Will foreign bodies cause redness in eyes?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2020

My eye has become red and is watering, I think a foreign object has entered but I am not able to find it. What should I do? It happened yesterday and icing did not help. Currently, I am under medication for high blood pressure.

#

First this to rule out is a foreign body in the eye. For that ask someone to examine your eye with a torchlight and also check the upper lid by everting it because that is the common site for foreign body. Sometimes a very small foreign body cannot be seen with the naked eye and need an eye exam by a doctor. Wash your eye with clean water.

If there is no foreign body seen then it is most probably conjunctivitis (that presents with the same symptoms) usually viral conjunctivitis. It usually takes 7-10 days to complete recovery but during this period protect your other eye and other family members because it spreads from one person to another through contact.

For symptomatic relief, keep washing your eyes with cold water and do icepacks. That helps to relieve discomfort. Start antibiotic (Moxifloxacin 0.5%) eye drops four times a day to avoid secondary infection. If pain and discomfort are severe consult your nearby eye doctor for a complete eye exam.

|