Q. Is L-Glutamine safe for a rheumatoid arthritis patient?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife has been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for more than 10 years. For the last two years, she has been taking infusions of Rituximab or Rituxan 2 g. Last infusion was six months ago. It is also confirmed that she has Leaky gut syndrome. Is it safe to take L-Glutamine (supplement for Leaky gut) for patient infused with Rituxan? Please explain.

#

• Leaky gut syndrome (leakage of undigested food or other substance due to damaged intestinal wall) is more of a hypothetical thing. A lot of researches are still going on and it is believed to trigger the autoimmune reactions in the body.
  • But, yes, it is safe to take the L-Glutamine with Rituximab. No contraindications to it as such.
  • Make sure she avoids outside food as you do not want to catch an infection, which can trigger the rheumatoid arthritis.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|