Q. I have severe pain in the left middle rib and is worsening. Should I worry about it?

Dr. Rahul Goel
Published on Nov 25, 2019

I have been having severe left middle rib pain for about a month and now it is always hurting. I had an upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, left kidney CT scan, gallbladder ultrasound, blood work, and HIDA scan and found nothing, but I have a torturous colon. The pain gets pretty bad and I am worried it is something more serious, but I try reassuring myself that it is not since I have had so many tests. What could this be?! Should I be worrying so much?

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

From your history, it seems to be an inflammation of one or more of the cartilages that connect the ribs to the breastbone. It is a condition called Tietze syndrome (when there is a swelling over the painful area) or costochondritis (no swelling, only pain). This condition has no known cause although many theories do exist (none proved). The main features are local pain, with or without swelling. It generally resolves in 12 weeks. However, it would be best if you can get a chest x-ray and an ECG (electrocardiogram) to rule out a rib fracture and a heart condition (angina) respectively.

Treatment:-

1. Take tablet Asprin 325 mg SOS (whenever you feel pain) up to a maximum of eight tablets a day.

2. Tablet Ranitidine 75 mg once a day. Whenever you take aspirin it reduces the stomach irritation caused by aspirin.

3. Locally apply Diclofenac gel thrice daily.

Chest x-ray PA (posteroanterior) view, ECG (electrocardiogram).

Angina, rib fracture.

Tietze syndrome, costochondritis.

Oral analgesics for two weeks, hot fomentation, local application of the analgesic gel.

Avoid weight-bearing over shoulders or chest, chest exercises or external impact over the area involved.

Review with a doctor after your ECG and chest x-ray is done.

| 

Why am I feeling pressure under rib cage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pressure at the top of my abdomen, under my rib cage. It is not painful. It feels like there is something extra in there or there is someone pressing out against my ribs. CT scan was normal. Would it show enlarged organs? Does this sound like a problem? Should I be worried abou...  Read Full »

I have chest pain when breathing. Please suggest a medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old male. For the past two days, I am getting a normal pain on the left side of the heart. Previously, I had the same experience, but since two days I am getting pain continuously while I am breathing. Please suggest a medicine.  Read Full »

Why am I having constant eye floaters, low back and hip pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having constant eye floaters, low back and hip pain, also my rib cage hurts. I feel depressed and anxious like never before. I cannot sleep at night. MRI of brain shows tiny flair. Radiologists are saying that it is nothing to worry about. What should I do?  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now