Q. I have ringing in my ears. Is it serious?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

I am 18 years old, and I have ringing in my ears as long as I can remember, but I have never thought to ask about it until now. Is there something I should be doing? Should I be seeing someone?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Welocme to icliniq.com.

The ringing sensation, tinnitus is a subjective sensation, hence should never be neglected. Yes if proper tests are done and you rule out any pathology then we can start behavioural therapy with which you slowly neglect the sounds. Tinnitus is the first sign of pathology of the ear connected with our nervous system. It is mostly seen as a subjective symptom in old age people which is due to slow degeneration of neuronal pulse. But since you are young and it is lasting from a very long time. It is absolutely necessary to get few tests done.

Audiometry with tympanogram.
MRI brain, (contrast, multiplanar, with t1, t2, DWI)

| 

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask an Audiologist Now