Q. Can you please suggest which medication, tablet Levera, tablet Valproin Chrono, or tablet Brivajoy is good for treating seizures without side effects?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 07, 2022

I am a 53 years old working man. Three years back, I had my first seizure attack while in my office and discussing a meeting. It was a powerful attack, and I got injured, mostly in my face. A few months later, when I was packing my luggage for travel, I lost consciousness for about two hours. However, I was cooperating with my family to go to the doctor but was not conscious. I have been taking tablet Levera 500 twice a day for three years. After that, I have had many such episodes of unconsciousness, fear, and aura. Most of the time, I know before that I am not well, and I do get the aura. For the last two months, I had repeated episodes of seizures when I used to shout with fear.

I consulted a local neurologist, and he first changed my medicine from tablet Levera 500 to tablet Brivajoy 50 with tablet Valparin Chrono 500 twice a day. I had two tongue bite episodes in a week after that. In the next fifteen days, tablet Brivajoy's dose was increased from 50 to 75. I did again have two tongue bite episodes in those fifteen days. After that, the power was increased to 100. In the last 20 days, I had one mild episode. The episodes were mainly when I was overloaded with work or when I could not sleep properly at night, or when I had little liquor at night. I kept observing the reason for instigating the episode. It is more likely when I am overloaded with work and am in some tension. All my MRI reports, including sleep-deprived MRI, are normal. Shall I continue with tablet Brivajoy 100 and tablet Valparin Chrono 500 or with tablet Levera of increased dosage? I did not have a problem with tablet Livera 500 except for the last few months. Tablet Brivajoy is a little difficult in availability in the remote area where I live.

Please help, doctor.

#

I understand your concern.

Since tablet Brivajoy (Brivaracetam) is challenging to find, it is fine to continue with tablet Valparin Chrono (Sodium Valproate and Valproic Acid) 500 mg three times daily and tablet Levera (Levetiracetam) 500 mg twice daily. This is a good combination for generalized epilepsy seizures. I recommend checking valproate plasma levels to adjust the proper dose if necessary.

|