Q. I am married for about one year. Kindly suggest on my semen analysis report.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Nov 14, 2019

I am a 35-year-old male. I have married about one year ago, but till now I have no hope of a child. Below is my semen analysis report. Please check it and tell me if there is any problem and suggest to me about the cure if any.

Semen analysis report: Gross:

Duration of abstinence: 05 days

Appearance: Creamy white

Liquefaction time (minutes): 30 minutes

Consistency: Thin

Volume; 3.2 ml

pH: 8.0.

Sperm motility (%) (100 Spermatozoa):

a) Rapid progression: 40%, b) Non-progressive motility: 10%, c) Slow progression: 20%, d) Immotile: 30%.

Agglutination: count/ml: 30 million, vitality: 70%.

Morphology (%): Normal: 60%, Abnormal: 40%, Head defects: 30%, Tail defects: 03%, Neck and mid piece defects: 03%, Cytoplasmicdroplets: 02%, Headless 'Pinhead' : 02%.

Pus cells: 4-6

Red blood cells: Nil

Epithelial Cells: 1-2

Miscellaneous: Nil.

Note: This specimen is taken at the lab.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen your semen analysis report and the following is my opinion:

Pus cell count (units not given) appears to be high. If the unit is 4-6 cells/hpf counted in the semen analysis chamber, it comes to 1-1.5 million cells/mL. High pus cells in semen may indicate infection. The simplest way to check infection is to do one semen culture test. If any offending organism is found, you need to take antibiotics (according to sensitivity report) for three to six weeks. Kindly do not take antibiotics if streptococcus or staphylococcus are found, as these are mostly contaminants and rarely cause semen infection.

The volume of semen is a little high. High volume increases chances of all semen coming out after intercourse, but should not be a cause of concern.

Coming to your problem of infertility: For pregnancy to occur, apart from normal semen, your wife's regular ovulation and open tubes are required. Has your wife undergone any evaluation? If yes, you can get back to me with reports for further advice.

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

How to increase sperm count?

Query: Hi doctor, My sperm count is low; it has dropped from 18 million to 3 million within a period of five months time. I have been diagnosed with bilateral varicocele. I have consulted three urologists. The first doctor advised me to go for ART (artificial reproductive technology) second one prescribed...  Read Full »

Are there abnormalities in my semen analysis reports?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find my semen analysis results attached. Are there any abnormalities? And, if so, what is the treatment to be done?  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now