Q. Why do I wake up with shortness of breath and numbness in my right arm?

Dr. Prathap
Published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I am a 32 year old male, who weighs 115 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. I woke up after an hour of sleep with shortness of breath and numbness in my right arm. I have been suffering from a cold, for a week now. Five days ago I boarded a flight, I got congested during the first leg of the flight, and got no sleep. On the second leg after dozing off briefly, I woke up feeling numb in my arms, particularly the right arm, and shortness of breath that quickly spiraled into extreme shortness of breath, a racing heart, and hot flushes. The airline crew placed me on oxygen for the remaining two hours of the flight. My blood pressure was on the higher side and pulse came back fine as well. When I landed, the airport clinic gave me Amoxicillin and checked my vitals, and they were stable, so they released me.

After two nights of difficult or no sleep, I went to a hospital, where my blood pressure was138/93 mmHg. So, the doctor prescribed me a Pseudoephedrine and Paracetamol, to take along with the Amoxicillin. I have been taking them every 8 hours as prescribed, and they appear to be helping. They performed an EKG and found nothing wrong.

This brings me to the current problem. I am still experiencing difficulty in sleeping even with the medication. I managed to doze off for an hour first thing last night but woke up with shortness of breath and my right arm numb. I was sleeping on my back and did not roll on the arm. I recovered and tried for several hours to fall back to sleep. Why is only my arm going numb? Is it deprived of oxygen due to the cold? If so, why not other limbs too? I am normally a snorer, so I figured that the chest congestion is leaving me short of breath. Any thoughts on this, and what else can I do?

Dr. Prathap

#

I would give my opinion regarding this, but it may not be the final diagnosis as I have not examined you.

Shortness of breath after lying down for an hour implies there is a pulmonary congestion, that is pooling of blood in lungs due to weakened heart. It is called orthopnea, which is a sign of heart disease. The likely cause could be a viral myocarditis, as you have had a recent journey to a new place.

Also, this can be possible in a patient with asthma, even though the probability is low. Coming to the arm pain, it cannot be explained with the cause mentioned above. There can be a local pathology or a compression near the shoulder to the brachial plexus. I suggest you get a chest x-ray, echocardiogram, and ECG (electrocardiography). If possible, I want to see the ECG, as it is very tricky to interpret the ECG.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

Query: Hi doctor, I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. CPVT -¬†catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia¬†is a devastating condition and is usually found and detected on Holter monitor or on stress test if asymptomatic. In case of acute attack if a person has severe chest pain or syncope ...  Read Full

Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortn...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The interpretation you saw was a machine interpretation and they sometimes drive us crazy. Your ECG (electrocardiogram) is absolutely fine. However, get an ECG for a final confirmation. For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq....  Read Full

My father had pain below the heart which was on the rib side. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had mild chest pain. The doctor did an angiogram, and they told there is a block in the blood pumping vessel and it is closed. We planned for placing a stent. The next day, the doctor tested again and told the blood vessel is opened and it is normal. So, the stent was not place...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your cardiologist would have done ECG (electrocardiogram), echocardiogram, and TMT (treadmill test). If all these three tests are normal, then the cardiac problem is unlikely to occur. If this pain is not increased during walking or any other physical activity, then it ...  Read Full