Q. Is surgery a must for my mother's severe shoulder pain?

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

My hardworking mother, aged 62 years has a history of diabetes for the past 10 years and occasional shoulder pain for the past eight years. A month ago she lifted my son's heavy school bag and got severe shoulder pain, restricting it's movements. We got the MRI done last week. I have attached the reports. Can this problem be solved by giving adequate rest to the hand or physiotherapy? Or is surgery a must? If yes, what is the success rate of surgery in this case?

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Based on the MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is a full thickness tear of supraspinatus with retraction.

• The ideal treatment is arthroscopic repair for this age group of patients followed by strict physiotherapy.
  •  It is a keyhole surgery. Most of these surgeries will have good success rates. Even though she has diabetes, there is no issue with the surgery.

For further queries consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

If my mother does not undergo arthroscopic repair rather only physiotherapy and if enough time is given can the condition be completely cured?

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• She has to go through the physiotherapy protocol also. Her condition cannot be cured completely only with physiotherapy.

|