Q. Is there any way to get amnesia through anti-epileptic medications?

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

This is for my dad. He has epilepsy and is now 52 years old. Last Saturday, he went on his normal routine of getting ready but did not know what happened and he walked out of the house without any clothes. When we asked him if he was okay, he said yes. But after the whole episode, when we asked him if he knew what he did, he said no. We do think that his epilepsy is triggered by less sleep and the only medication he takes is Gabapentin. We think that he is getting depressed because he has a loss of appetite, loss of weight, slowness in activity, concentration problem and occasional mood swings. His current neurologist does not do anything and all he does is keep doing a blood test each time.

#

Thank you for your question.

History of epilepsy and intermittent episodes of confusion with loss of memory of the episode (amnesia) is concerning for seizures.

For the workup of seizures, he should get routine brain wave testing (EEG - electroencephalogram) or a long-term EEG monitoring to identify any abnormal brain discharges which can cause a seizure.

Other things to look at it is head imaging like CT head or MRI brain (if not done already) as it is not uncommon for elderly patients to have blood collection around the brain (subdural hematoma) to present with altered awareness or confusion.

I agree with blood tests as an initial test to look for metabolic encephalopathy due to deranged blood electrolytes level and body metabolites such as BUN (blood urea nitrogen), ammonia, etc.

Please do not hesitate to reply if you have any other questions or concerns.

| 

What are the side effects of long-term Clobazam use?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3.5 years old; studying in kindergarten. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. There is an epileptic form discharge of 8 Hz spikes from his right occipital lobe. His MRI and CT scan reports came normal. He feels involuntary movements in his left leg when he i...  Read Full »

What is the outlook for long term antiepileptic medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I have already put my query to a neurologist. Still, I would like to get opinion from you as well. My son is 3.5 years old. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. His MRI and CT were normal. There are epileptic form of discharge 8 Hz spikes from right occipital lobe. Us...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»