Q. After liposuction my skin turned black and keeps leaking bloody fluid. Kindly help.

Dr. Prince. H. P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I underwent liposuction on my lower leg three months ago and got a blister. Later it got infected, and the skin color turned black. My doctor dug a hole to remove the infection, and it is leaking a clear and bloody liquid, he keeps stitching it, but it keeps opening.

Please help.

#

It happens because of a minimal infection at the site. Diabetes and smoking will prolong the healing time, and the treatment is regular debridement of wound edges and dressing the wound along with antibiotics daily. If the wound does not heal, you can get skin grafting done after the wound turns red and granulated.

Since the infection persists for three months and is non-healing, it is advisable to do a wedge biopsy from wound edges and wound culture to rule out any malignant transformation.

Ongoing infection.

Wound culture sensitivity.
Random blood sugar.
Wedge biopsy.

Non-healing ulcer.
Diabetes.
Uncontrolled infection.

Daily dressing.
Antibiotics.
Debridement.

Thanks for replying.

Is it possible for the lesion to become more serious that may result in amputation? Since I am out of my country, is it safe to travel back to my nation? Is there a name for this condition to search it online?

#

It is unlikely that your infection can reach that extent, but it is always better to get a wedge biopsy from wound edges to rule out malignant transformation. I suggest you take routine blood investigations like blood sugar and hemoglobin level. If the results are normal, then the wound will heal with regular dressing and minimal debridement.

Thanks and regards.

Infection.

Thanks a lot. I will tell my doctor to do it. For now, he is letting the liquid pour out and doing dressing and cleaning daily. Is this the right treatment plan?

#

Yes, it seems to be the correct way.

I have one more question. He has stitched it up and left a small hole for the water to pour out. It is hardly pouring. I fear that this may put a bandaid over a big problem. Will it heal on its own? Will the inner organs get infected or becomes unhealed? Will it go into bone? He says that he has done some tests and the water appears to be clean.

#

Probably, the suturing edges are approximating tightly, which leads to suture give away and widening of sutured wounds. This kind of suturing can reduce the area to some extent. But another option is skin grafting on the raw area. You can discuss it with the consultant. As I do not have any follow-up photos, I cannot make a clear opinion on the current plan.

|