Q. Kindly explain the abnormalities in my EKG report.

Dr. Malay Shukla

I had an abnormal EKG (my PCP called so), and I would like to understand more what that means. I have a meeting with a cardiologist in a month. I am a pharmacist for twenty-five years, and I can do a little research without freaking out. I want to be an active part of my health. I will attach my EKG.

#

I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There are two abnormalities mentioned in your ECG (electrocardiography). I have put abnormalities word in quotations because the mentioned abnormalities can be normal if there is no underlying heart disease, meaning thereby, they can be found in a person with no heart disease.

The mentioned abnormalities are:

1. Sinus bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia: It means your heart rate at the time of ECG was less than 60 beats per minute, and there were heart rate variations with breathing. It can be found in normal people and in the absence of dizziness or syncope (acute loss of consciousness). This is not a worrisome feature.

2. Non-specific T-wave abnormality (in leads II, III, and aVF in your ECG): This is, as mentioned, a non-specific feature and can be a feature of an old or new heart attack on one end to a variation of normal on the other end. Hence, if you have no history of old heart attack or chest pain on exertion, it is a feature which needs evaluation and not a sinister feature.

So, my recommendations are:

1. In the absence of any symptoms like chest pain or shortness of breath on exertion, I would say reassurance until the cardiologist does the definitive evaluation.

2. A further evaluation for the mentioned abnormalities, a 24-hour Holter, exercise test imaging like myocardial perfusion imaging, and an echocardiogram to rule out ischemic and structural heart disease.

|