Q. Is such a high dose of Levofloxacin necessary after implant placement?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Sinus Lift or Antibiotics? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have just had a sinus lift graft and implants placed. The dentist has prescribed 500 mg of Levofloxacin every 12 hours for 10 days, plus Augmentin, plus Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My question is whether the Levofloxacin is necessary and why is it such a high dose? I have read it should not be taken with Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My dentist said it is fine, but I am very worried as I have heard this antibiotic is very toxic. What is your advice concerning this issue, please?