Q. Is such a high dose of Levofloxacin necessary after implant placement?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Sep 15, 2018

I have just had a sinus lift graft and implants placed. The dentist has prescribed 500 mg of Levofloxacin every 12 hours for 10 days, plus Augmentin, plus Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My question is whether the Levofloxacin is necessary and why is it such a high dose? I have read it should not be taken with Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My dentist said it is fine, but I am very worried as I have heard this antibiotic is very toxic. What is your advice concerning this issue, please?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

In usual cases here, we just give Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg twice a day for a week or two which is more than enough and Levofloxacin is not required. Maybe your dentist is being extra sure that you do not get any infection at the site. The dosage is fine, and if your dentist is an experienced one, you should go with his prescription. Taking just one course of Levofloxacin is not going to harm you in any significant manner.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

What is the procedure for dental implants in place of fixed prosthesis?

Query: Hello doctor,I lost my upper incisor after a childhood injury which later on was replaced by a dental bridge by a dentist who damaged my three healthy teeth to fix the bridge. It has been 15 years now and I want to go for implants. So, I have questions about what would be the whole approach? My brid...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »