Q. Is it normal to get two to three episodes of on and off skin rashes in a year?

N Ashok Viswanath
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2021

I am having on and off skin rashes all over my body. It started on my hands and spreading to other parts of the body. The bumps are of different sizes, and some are clusters; others are single. In addition, they are red, raised, and very itchy. They are presented for more than three weeks. I get these rashes two to three times a year, and the rashes turn purple when they start to heal.

Kindly help.

#

I acknowledge your query and the pictures attached (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It looks like allergic manifestation rather than infective. It is probably eczema, atopic dermatitis, or allergic dermatitis, which often occurs after contact with a particular allergen. The allergen might be dust, insects, or certain food items. The exacerbating factor might be climate change.

I have few suggestions for you as follows:

1) Kindly apply plain Calamine lotion or Calamine lotion with aloe vera four to five times a day over the allergic lesions.

2) Avoid citrus fruits.

3) Avoid tomato, potato, eggplant, chili, and pepper.

4) Avoid gluten-containing foods like wheat, barley, and rye.

5) Avoid chocolates.

6) Reduce the amount of milk you consume every day.

7) Bath in lukewarm water.

8) Sometimes, fluctuation in the environmental temperatures may exacerbate the allergy. In case if it is occurring in a cold climate, you can use humidifiers.

9) Keep your room dust-free.

10) Avoid alcohol and nicotine-containing products.

12) Reduce the consumption of processed meat and red meat.

Meanwhile, I suggest you do tests for allergen-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) and total IgE levels.

Oral antihistamines like Levocetirizine or Fexofenadine and oral mast cell stabilizers like Montelukast will help during the allergy. Topical Diphenhydramine with Zinc acetate will help in reducing the symptoms.

Take care.

Allergy.

Allergy.

Allergy.

Antiallergic measures.

As advised above.

|