Q. What is the solution for segmented sleep?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

What is the solution for segmented sleep? How to get rid of this?

#

• The treatment depends on the cause of segmented sleep.
  • If it is due to mood disorder like depression or hypomania or anxiety, then treatment of the underlying condition will correct the segmented sleep as well.
  • If it is due to disturbed sleep - wake cycle like working in the night shift and frequent air travel then tips for resynchronization of the sleep - wake cycle should be advised.
  • It includes sleeping in completely dark room, using a blue light filter on your electronic device like phone, computer, etc., and avoiding use of such devices 1 hour before sleep, basking in sun for 15 minutes after waking up, avoiding tea or caffeine or soft drink after 5 PM. These will help when done regularly.
  • You can also take tablet Melatonin 3 mg along with Zolpidem 10 mg 15 minutes before sleep. It will ensure a smooth sleep without breaks.
  • Practice deep breathing exercise like the 4-7-8 technique, which you can find on the internet, for one minute before sleeping and whenever you have a break in sleep. It will help you in falling asleep quickly after a break.
  • You can listen to white noise or any relaxing music (available as a phone application) for falling asleep quickly, either at the beginning of sleep or after a break in sleep.

For further information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

|