Q. I have an extremely sore throat, and the roof of my mouth and tonsils are swollen. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I am a 34 year old female, and I have an extremely sore throat, mainly on the left side. The roof of my mouth and tonsils are swollen. They are red but do not have any patches. I do not have a fever. I have pain while talking and swallowing. I also have body aches. The throat pain started a couple of days back, but now it is getting worse and the swelling is really bad. I have a swelling in the neck around the lymph nodes.

#

I would like some more detail.

1. From when are you having these symptoms?
  2. Do you have any associated cough, fever, chills, sinus pain or pressure, ear ache or discharge, and post-nasal drip?
  3. Does anybody around you have the same symptoms?
  4. Would you be able to take a picture?
  5. Have you tried any medications?

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The soreness of throat started a week ago. It went and came back a couple of days back. Then my tonsils got swollen, and the symptoms got worse. The back of my mouth is now swollen. I have extreme pain when I talk and swallow. I also have post-nasal drip. This morning I had a productive cough. Currently, I am taking Z-pak and cough syrup with Codeine and Ibuprofen. I am just worried about the swelling. It seems so severe and now my neck is a little swollen also.

#

• Z-Pak (Azithromycin) is not enough, I am a little concerned about a retropharyngeal abscess. I would encourage you to speak to your primary care physician and request for a CT scan or MRI of the head and neck.
  • You would need broader antibiotics like Augmentin (combination Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid).
  • I would suggest going to the ER today and feel free to let them know that I am worried about a retropharyngeal abscess.

Wishing you all the best.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|