Q. My mother is unwell with stomach and waist pain. Is she rightly prescribed?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

My mother is 64 years old and is suffering from several kinds of diseases e.g. BP, thyroid, sugar, cholesterol. She is taking medicines regularly as prescribed by the doctor. Her medications are Tripride 2, Altroxin 50, Stamlovita, Met XL 25, Losartan, Atorva 10 mg.

Presently she has waist pain and stomach pain. We went to the doctor and they prescribed Calsma D3 60k (once a week), Remac CD3, Vitasonic plus, Eurosure 500 mg, Pregabid NT (from three to four days). Gastrologist suggest Nexpro Hp (morning and evening).

I want advice that, is our treatment going in the right way or something wrong because presently she is not feeling unwell? What should we have to do?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I have gone through the provided details and treatment prescription from various doctors. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although, it will not be possible for me to comment on whether the treatment is right or wrong (without seeing the patient), but I feel there is a need to explore other options than the medications.

As I can see she is taking medication for almost every common ailment of senior citizen life but there is no mention of lifestyle changes. The lifestyle changes are either equal or more important in chronic diseases such as HTN (hypertension), diabetes, thyroid, and hypercholesterolemia.

In addition to these ask your mother to have at least 45 minutes of moderate physical activity. It is also important to take a diabetic diet and restrict the intake of salt and fats. Regarding the current medications, I do not see any role of remake CD3, Eraser 500 and Vitamin plus. Please stop all the three medicines and give her plenty of fluids to drink.

In addition, get an ultrasound of her abdomen and revert back to me.

| 

Related Video

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Diabetes

Article Overview: The number of people being diagnosed with diabetes is drastically increasing. To know how diabetes affects your heart, kidney, and brain, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Diabetologist

What Is Diabetes? Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for the cells in the body, and it is the main source of fuel of the brain. There are many types of diabetes depending on the cause, b...  Read Article

How can I manage the stomach pain present below the breast on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. I also get a fever during the early morning. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Geriatrician Now