Q. My 2. 5 months pregnant wife's TSH has reduced. Do we need to reduce Thyronorm dosage?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Jul 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 2.5 months pregnant. She is 29 years old, weighs 46.2 kg and is 4.10 feet tall. She has subclinical hypothyroidism, and her TSH is 12.7. She takes Thyronorm 75 mcg. Recently, we tested her TSH, which was 10.5 and total thyroxine (T4) is 12.4 (reference value is 4.5 to 12). Do we continue the same Thyronorm 75 mcg or reduce the dose?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• What dose was she taking Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) before? When was the dosage altered last?
  • If the dosage was not reduced recently, that is, in the last 2 to 3 months, then the dose can be reduced to 62.5 mcg daily. Repeat testing would be needed after 4 to 8 weeks of changing the dose.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. Her TSH was 12.7 three months back, so the doctor prescribed Thyronorm 25 mcg. We did not check her TSH levels after that. When the pregnancy test came positive, we did a complete blood test. In that her TSH was 10.5. Please help.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• It is too early to change the dose. Besides, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is in the normal range. Free T4 would have more weight for changing dose rather than total T4. She can just continue the same dose and retest (free T4 and TSH) just before next scheduled visit to the doctor.
  • If again free T4 is higher than normal and TSH goes down out of range, the dose can be reduced. Taking a little higher dose of Thyronorm will not harm, but lower than required dose can harm the baby. So please continue the same dose and repeat free T4 and TSH next time for dose adjustment.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be due to over treatment or iatrogenic hyperthyroidism. Here is a list of symptoms experienced due to over treatment. They are tachycardia, palpitations, nervousness, tiredness, headache, excitability, sleeplessness, tremors, anxiety and heat intolerance. ...  Read Full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Low levels of both TSH and FT4 indicate that the problem is at Pituitary or Hypothalamus level and NOT Thyroid. Also, your thyroid is NOT hyperactive and your thyroids are apparently functioning normally. You will therefore require further evaluation to localize the site o...  Read Full

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you follow the same dose as you are not a hyperthyroid yet. Also, if you are planning for your marriage and pregnancy, then this TSH value is normal.  If the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) value is less than 0.3 U/mL, then the dosage of tablet has to be red...  Read Full