Q. Is it normal to have pain and swelling after an arthroscopic surgery?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I did hurt my ankle 2 years ago then went for an MRI 11 months back. The following month I had an arthroscopic surgery (OCD MTD). Now, even after nine months it still swells up, painful and I do not have full range of motion. It hurts a lot when I run or jump. I have been doing physiotherapy and trying to strengthen the ankle, but I still feel pain. I did another MRI three months back. I have attached both MRIs. Please let me know what you think.

#

I have read your query and the MRI reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You had an osteochondritic lesion of talus (OLT) reputed last year, the fresh MRI shows that the repair done is perfectly fine with no signs of osteoarthritis of the ankle joint or marrow edema.
  • Pain and swelling can take a year or more before it turns out to be normal again.
  • You have to continue with physiotherapy of the ankle as well as muscle strengthening exercises for other group of muscles as well.
  • Hot fomentation can be done for alleviation of pain. Ultrasonic therapy with or without analgesic and steroid gel preparation can also be used as a pain relief procedure.
  • If the condition is not resolving with pain medication and physical therapy, then local intra-articular injection of depot preparation of Methylprednisolone can be given.
  • If the treatment modalities have already been tried, then please let me know so that we can discuss on other treatment options.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|