Q. Is it normal to have pain and swelling after an arthroscopic surgery?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I did hurt my ankle 2 years ago then went for an MRI 11 months back. The following month I had an arthroscopic surgery (OCD MTD). Now, even after nine months it still swells up, painful and I do not have full range of motion. It hurts a lot when I run or jump. I have been doing physiotherapy and trying to strengthen the ankle, but I still feel pain. I did another MRI three months back. I have attached both MRIs. Please let me know what you think.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have read your query and the MRI reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You had an osteochondritic lesion of talus (OLT) reputed last year, the fresh MRI shows that the repair done is perfectly fine with no signs of osteoarthritis of the ankle joint or marrow edema.
  • Pain and swelling can take a year or more before it turns out to be normal again.
  • You have to continue with physiotherapy of the ankle as well as muscle strengthening exercises for other group of muscles as well.
  • Hot fomentation can be done for alleviation of pain. Ultrasonic therapy with or without analgesic and steroid gel preparation can also be used as a pain relief procedure.
  • If the condition is not resolving with pain medication and physical therapy, then local intra-articular injection of depot preparation of Methylprednisolone can be given.
  • If the treatment modalities have already been tried, then please let me know so that we can discuss on other treatment options.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now