Q. My CT shows multiple subcentimeter nodules in thyroid. Kindly help.

Dr. Chitrangada

I noticed a swelling on my neck a while back. It has been that swollen for a while now, more than six months. It is not going down and sometimes there is a pain when I am more active. Starting to get concerned with it as it is not going down. I had a CT scan about three months back that showed multiple subcentimeter nodules on the left lobe of my thyroid but this is on the right side. I have been to the doctor since then and they ordered blood work for my thyroid. I am worried as I feel tired all the time and dizziness is something more. I had this scan done the other day and was wanting to see if there were any abnormalities in them and what was swollen on the right side of my neck.

#

I can see that there is fullness on the right side of the neck in the picture. In the CT scan images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I find there are few lymph nodes on the sides of your neck but probably because of the small size, your report does not mention it. The fullness is likely due to the lymph nodes in my opinion. There are subcentimeter nodules in the left lobe of thyroid. I would like to know if you have discussed any head and neck infection and the lymph nodes with your doctors.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

I did when it first started they told me it was normal and would go away. That has been a long time ago. Is there anything to worry about?

#

Lymph nodes can stay prominent in some individuals for a long time. If the lymph nodes are of the same size for more than three to six months then a serious problem is less likely. It is important to have a follow up of the lymph nodes for three to six months and then after a year. If there is no change and the size is less than a centimeter then it is harmless enlarged benign lymph nodes. If you feel that a particular lymph node has suddenly enlarged in size then a detailed clinical testing might be required.

|