Q. Why do I have swollen gums and have pain while eating?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

I have swollen gums and have pain while eating. Please help.

#

I have seen the photo that you have shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It is a gingival swelling or abscess, more like an inflammatory lesion of the gum. It happens due to tooth decay if it is indicated for root canal treatment and the infection may have spread to the gum. It may also be because of stress or acute onset gingival inflammation that can occur if you have not got dental scaling till now. Are any of the two premolars paining? If not you need to get deep cleaning and betadine irrigation done.

I suggest you to start rinsing with Chlorhexidine mouthwash and warm salt water several times a day. I can suggest an antibiotic prophylaxis later if needed. For pain, I suggest you to take tablet Nucoxia P (Etoricoxib 60 mg and Paracetamol 325 mg) twice daily after food.

|