Q. Why does my vaginal opening feel lumpy and a bit swollen?

Published on May 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 31, 2019

I am an 18 year old female. I have noticed that my vaginal opening feels lumpy and possibly a bit swollen, and I am panicking. It does not hurt, and it is not raw or itchy either. Please help me put my mind at ease. 

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? At this young age of 18 years, I do not see any reason for you to get tensed.

• The vaginal wall is full of folds called vaginal rugosity, so this may be felt as lumps, which need no treatment. As you do not have any itching or soreness, infection is ruled out.
  • The other possibilities are as follows.
  1. If you are sexually active, then it could be any infection. This needs a course of antibiotic and antifungal for both of you, and abstinence till the swelling is fully gone.
  2. If you have been roughly masturbating or using any sex toys, then it can cause swelling, which will subside on its own.
  3. If you have been using a tampon, it can injure the wall of the vagina. Just stop using it till better.
  4. Recent respiratory infection, which got transmitted to the vagina. It will also resolve on its own.
  • These are just possibilities, and I am sure you are absolutely fine. Just wait for few days, and it will be gone. 

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

May I know the treatment for vaginal infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got some vaginal infection. I feel itching, burning and some kind of cut and marks on my vagina. I would like to know the treatment for this. Please help.  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »