Q. Why is one of molars swollen?

Dr. Purva Jingar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 21, 2019

I am 18 years old and my grandfather said I might be teething because one of my molars are swollen. He said once I lose this molar, a new one comes in. Is that true?

#

He is not wrong nor right. If your molar in the age of 8 was not replaced with a permanent one and if there is any chance of having a molar in eruption stage then it may be true. Generally swelling around teeth comes due to gum inflammation or due to some infection in teeth.

In both cases, you need to visit a dental clinic. Just get this swelling checked before it becomes some severe infection and know the status of your teeth whether they are temporary or permanent teeth.

My lower teeth gum color varies. Please clarify if I have gingivitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I do not know if I have gingivitis. The gums of my front teeth in the lower jaw have a small hint of pale pink. But, on the right side, it shows a hint of a darker pink. Also, my teeth look larger on the back side. Is that normal? Please help me.  Read Full »

How can I manage wisdom tooth eruption pain?

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two weeks, my two wisdom teeth on the right side of my face have been coming in. The pain has been incredibly severe and is almost unbearable at this point. I have been experiencing headaches and tenderness pain in my neck, jaw, and gums. I have trouble moving my jaw and ...  Read Full »

My son has swelling on face. Is that due to teething or allergy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 17 months old. He has a swollen upper lip on the inside of his mouth. It is not pus filled, just swollen. Both cheeks are puffed up because of the swelling. The swelling started overnight. Also, he has a fever. One side of the molar came out. Is this because of teething or an al...  Read Full »